Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Living in the Moment



I love this picture. I think it captures the true essence of how living in the future or living beyond the moment can lead to us missing the mark. It's okay to dream, have goals and plan. It really is. But living too far ahead of where you are at this moment prevents you from savoring the amazingness of the moment you're in. I've come to realize that I am in my most peaceful state when I just let go of my thoughts. In that, I let go of what I need to do, what I'm planning on doing, what I hope happens, what I'm striving to become. I let it all go! When I do that I open myself up to enjoy and marvel over what is...instead of what is to come. My heart-rate decreases. My breathing slows up. I'm at peace when I exercise living in the moment.
 
I find that many people, myself included, are always trying to get somewhere, both mentally and physically. Things are always moving or plans are always being made. A constant state of preparing and anticipating. I'm sure this sounds familiar to you. This way of living is stressful. It robs you of taking in precious moments in your present. Moments that you will never get back. Since I finished Graduate school I've started practicing living in the moment. Now that I no longer have papers to write or classes to rush to or deadlines to meet...I've started embracing the slowness of my life. I don't always succeed at it but at least now I'm more mindful of it. I can say, "Chanel, slow down. You're getting too far ahead of yourself."
 
I know God has great things in store for me, and you. But I also know that life and time are so precious you cannot spend it always anticipating the "what's next" stuff of life. You truly have to cherish and value each day, hour, minute and second you are allowed to see. I often think about people who received the news that they only have a few months or years to live. I ask myself, "If I were in their shoes, how would I spend my last days?" Like, after getting over the devastating news how would I maximize life until I had no more life left? I pray that I wouldn't spend it moping around or feeling sorry for myself. I also pray that I would make the absolute most out of the time I had left!
 
I want to start living my life that way. I would encourage you to do the same. Live like your time here on earth is limited. Live and enjoy each moment you're blessed to see. Celebrate your daily accomplishments instead of waiting until the whole puzzle is completed. Bask in the sun and the beauty of the day...of the moment. I plan to start reading Eckhart Tolle's, "The Power of Now." I pray that this work helps me to start living in my now, without me having to work at it. I want living in my now to be my norm. I challenge you as well to take one day where you only focus on your now. It will lead to amazing memories and a more peaceful way of life.





No comments:

Post a Comment